Friday, January 7, 2011

Honesty Stand

For the next week or so, to give myself a break from The Map Page, and the online surveys that are my only source of income at present, I'll be posting pictures and memories from a vacation three years ago.



In 2008 my mother and I where able to spend a week in Kauai with her sister and brother in law. It was a strange experience for me. I've been to Mexico, and California, but I was very young at the time and did not have the level of appreciation for my surroundings that I have now. At the time, I was at the height of my interest in horticulture and botany, and being in such a drastically different environment than I was accustomed to was as overwhelming as I expected it to be.

The character of the island astounded me, as well. I felt emotionally exposed and fragile for the entire stay. There was a profundity to the land, a duality of the people and culture. It was beautiful and amazing and I loved being there, but I could not shake the feeling that I shouldn't be. At my Uncle's suggestion, I read this book when I came back home, and it put my own feelings into perspective.

I don't remember who it was, but in conversation, an acquaintance recently said something along the lines of "Hawaii? Yeah that will all sink back into the ocean someday. What a shame". Good, I thought. Those island deserve a peaceful rest.



No comments:

Post a Comment