Sunday, August 14, 2011

Katy Trail Day 5 - Sedalia, MO

28.08mi
7.2avs

Started the day with breakfast at the community center. Normally I don't do this sort of thing, but it was right across the street from the park, and it looked really good... $6 got me biscuits, gravy, sausage, fruit, homemade crumbcake, juice and coffee. I paced myself well and put away enough food to see me to dinner.

Away now from the Missouri river and its floods, the country is much drier. The rivers look like creeks, the creeks are dry or barely a trickle. There are more grasses, daisies, and chicory. It's hot again, too, with less shelter from the sun. The ride was mostly uneventful, but pleasant. I'm couchsurfing in Sedalia tonight, and probably spending an extra day there. Later!


Morning at Pilot Grove.


I'm beyond the flooded area of the state, now. The little tributary creeks are just trickles, lined with rocky areas in which these cacti grow.


Various small spruce and juniper trees enjoy the same conditions.


A black fly with a silver-white face. Like a little panda that grew from a maggot...


No comments:

Post a Comment