Thursday, July 21, 2011

Grotto of the Redemption - West Bend, IA

36mi

Hot as ever, today. Made it another short day, and camped at the Grotto of the Redemption in West Bend. Nice little place with a stone shower house, free firewood, and some shade trees. Right across the street is the Grotto. It's the largest in the world and is absolutely spectacular. It's open all hours of the day and night, so after I set up camp I headed over with my camera and a bright LED light. During the day it's full of tourists, but at night it was just me, a few bats, and a toad.


Campground shower house.


A part of one of the 'walls' of the Grotto. It's full of twisting passages, tunnels in and out, gates, halls, chambers and stairs. Point being, this might be the 'front' of the structure, but it's hard to define!


The stations of the cross, I believe?


The Grotto by daylight.


No comments:

Post a Comment